Recipe: Midnight Sandwich
Don't be deceived by the name- you can enjoy this sandwich at any time of the day! The version of the delightful Cuban sandwich is ideal Super Bowl party fare. I like to make platters of these sandwiches to serve with Yuca Fries at afternoon family parties. Accompany with ice-cold Aguilas (Colombian Beer).
Makes 8 Sandwiches; Serves 8
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Eight 8-inch-long pieces baguette, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 16 thin slices roast pork
- 16 thin slices smoked ham
- 8 thin slices white cheddar cheese
- 2 large dill pickles, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 teaspoons unsalted butter at room temperature
Heat a sandwich press or preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread mustard on the cut side of the bread tops, and mayonnaise on the cut-side bottoms. On the mayonnaise-coated side of each sandwich, layer 2 pieces each roast pork, ham and cheddar cheese. Add some pickle slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then put the top on each sandwich. Butter the outside of each sandwich on a baking pan and place on a heavy weight, such as a brick wrapped in aluminum foil or a cast-iron skillet, on top of the sandwiches (try to distribute the weight evenly). Bake until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.